The ability for your family to live together is at stake…
If you need an immigration waiver, then your ability to live with your family in the United States is at stake. If your waiver application is not approved, you may be separated from your family for 3 years, 10 years, or even forever. With this much on the line, do you really want to risk not getting professional legal assistance with your waiver application?
An immigration lawyer can help you present the strongest waiver case possible…
Immigration waivers are difficult cases. After all, the only reason you would need a waiver is if something has already gone wrong with your case. An immigration lawyer can help you get your case back on track to give you the best chance of success. For example:
- If you need an unlawful presence waiver, you are likely already facing a bar of 3 years or 10 years before you can return to the United States. Do you know how to present detailed legal arguments supported by evidence that will convince an immigration officer to forgive your unlawful presence? Generally speaking, a “hardship letter” alone will not win your case. You need to present detailed legal analysis with supporting evidence to win. If you don’t understand how to do this type of legal research and writing, you likely will have a better chance of winning your case if you have an immigration lawyer assisting you.
- If you need a misrepresentation waiver, you are likely already facing a lifetime bar on being able to return to the United States. Immigration law takes a very harsh view of any misrepresentations on immigration forms or that are made to an immigration officer. Do you know if it is possible to argue that you don’t need a misrepresentation waiver based on your specific facts? Do you know how to present legal arguments and evidence in the best way possible to show that your US citizen or permanent resident family member will face extreme hardship if your waiver is not granted? If you don’t, then you will likely have a better chance of winning your case if you have an immigration lawyer assisting you.
- If you need a criminal conviction waiver, you are likely already facing a lifetime bar on being able to return to the United States. This may be true even if your conviction was from many years ago, was just a misdemeanor or if you are married to a United States citizen. Criminal conviction waivers, however, are not available for all convictions. Do you know if a waiver is even a possibility in your case? Do you know how to present your case in a way that will convince the immigration officer that your past conviction should be forgiven so that your US citizen or permanent resident family member will not suffer extreme hardship because of your separation?
An immigration lawyer who handles waiver cases will know how to:
- Work with you to develop the best arguments for why you should be granted a waiver. It can be very difficult for most people to identify and evaluate all of the hardship factors in their own lives. Your immigration lawyer will be able to help you dig into your current situation and past experiences to identify everything that could be used to support your waiver.
- Work with you to identify the supporting evidence needed to present the strongest case possible. You won’t win your case if you don’t have supporting evidence for each of your hardship factors.
- Present your legal arguments and evidence in a way that will allow an immigration officer to best understand that your waiver should be granted.
- Continue to research the legal issues in your case for any new developments that can be used to strengthen your case.
- Help you and your family prepare strong supporting letters for your waiver application that focus on your strongest arguments.
Is there any requirement to use an immigration lawyer for your immigration case? No. But with something as important and complex as a waiver case, do you really want to take the risk of doing it on your own?
Finding the best immigration lawyer for your immigration waiver case…
As a starting point, you should keep in mind that your goal should be to find the best immigration lawyer for your waiver case — not the best immigration lawyer for anyone else’s waiver case. The best immigration lawyer for you may not be the best immigration lawyer for someone else.
This is because everyone’s case is unique. I can guarantee you that no one else has an immigration waiver case just like yours. How can I make this guarantee? Simple…waiver cases depend on the facts surrounding why you need the waiver, the specific situation faced by your family, and the backgrounds and past experiences of you and your family. No one else has lived a life exactly like yours. Therefore, no one else will have a waiver case just like yours. With this in mind, you should try to find the best immigration lawyer for you and your family.
Two main ways that people start the process of finding the best immigration lawyer for their case are:
- Ask your family and friends for recommendations. Make sure that you let them know that you are looking for an immigration lawyer to assist with your waiver application. Immigration law is a very big field. You want to make sure that your lawyer is comfortable with the law surrounding waiver cases.
- Search on the internet. The internet can be valuable source of information on immigration lawyers in your area. You should look for lawyers who provide information about waiver cases so that you can add them to your list of possible lawyers for your case.
After getting recommendations and identifying lawyers through internet searches, you should have a good place to start in your search for the best immigration lawyer for your waiver case. To narrow your starting list, you should check to see what type of information each lawyer can make available to you to help you get a better understanding of who the lawyer is and how they will approach your case. You shouldn’t expect a lawyer to provide you with free legal advice, but many immigration lawyers will be able to provide you with some general information so that you can get a better feel for how your lawyer will help you build the best case possible and whether you will be able to understand how your lawyer will explain legal issues. You may want to see if the lawyer’s website provides helpful information about immigration waivers, if they have a book on immigration waivers or other printed information they can send you or if they have any videos that you can watch.
Your goal should be to find a lawyer who you are confident can help you build the best case possible and who you will be comfortable working with. This is a very personal decision and will depend on who you feel the most comfortable working with. The best immigration lawyer for your waiver case may not be the same person as the best immigration lawyer for your friend’s case. You can follow this link if you are interested in learning whether I may be the best immigration lawyer for your waiver case.
CAUTION: Choosing a lawyer by simply looking for the lowest fee is almost always a mistake. There is nothing wrong with choosing the lawyer who offers the lowest fee if that lawyer is who you think will be able to help you present the best case possible. But, you should keep in mind that you often get what you pay for. Lawyers will typically set their fees based on how much of the lawyer’s time will be spent on the case. Waiver cases take time to research and prepare. An extremely low fee may be a sign that the lawyer either won’t be spending much time on your case or that much of the work will be done by paralegals or other legal assistants. Only you can decide who the best immigration lawyer is for your case, but make sure that you are making the decision based on who will be the best lawyer for you and not simply who will charge you the lowest fee.