Can I apply for adjustment of status if I was granted asylum?

unlawful presence waiver requirements unlawful presence waiver qualifying relative unlawful presence waiver unlawful presence waiver proposed rule change unlawful presence waiver 2012 unlawful presence waiver news unlawful presence waiver form unlawful presence waiver final rule unlawful presence waiver uscis unlawful presence waiver extreme hardship Related Keywords 10 2013 alex, aliens, announcement, apply, attorney, avoid bar, bars caroline, cases, changes dhs eligible, episode, experts final grant how i-601, i-601a, illegal, immigration, important, infowars jones, justice lawyer matters, mistakes new, news, nightly, not part, presence, professor, proposed, provisional rule stephenson unlawful waiver, waivers, whoIf you have been granted asylum in the United States, you may be interested in becoming a permanent resident and getting a green card:

If you were granted asylum in the United States…

then you may be able to get your green card using the adjustment of status process

You must wait one year after being granted asylum to apply for your green card. At the end of that year, you must file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status along with the required supporting forms and documents. This form is used to request that you be granted permanent resident status and given a green card. Once you file your Form I-485, you will receive a receipt notice. You should be careful to keep this receipt notice in a safe place. You will need the receipt number that is on this notice to be able to track your case online or to inquire about your case during an Infopass appointment.

During the one-year period you must wait to file for adjustment of status, you are permitted to work in the United States. IF your spouse and children were not with you in the United States when you were granted asylum, you may also be able to bring them to the United States under asylum status.

About Kimberley Schaefer

Kimberley Schaefer is an immigration lawyer with offices in Boise, ID and Rexburg, Idaho. She helps future Americans become citizens by assisting them with immigrant visas, fiance visas, adjustment of status and green card applications, applying for immigration waivers, fighting deportation and applying for asylum. To contact her, you can call (208) 918-0852 or send Kimberley an email now.

Comment Policy: Do you have a comment about this article? Your comments will be visible to everyone and are appropriate for general questions about immigration issues. Have a specific question about your case that you'd like to ask privately as part of a consultation? Please use the contact form instead.

Leave a Comment About This Article