Fiance Visa Granted to Couple Who Met Through Exchange Student Program

A Schaefer Law Firm client was granted a fiance visa recently. The couple initially consulted with the firm when they first decided to get married so that they could get advice on the best way to get a K1 fiance visa. They had originally met through an exchange student program in Latin America and eventually decided to spend the rest of their lives together. After reviewing the education and career plans of the couple, a plan was developed that would allow them to complete their degrees and have their dream wedding on their selected date.

The couple worked with the firm to prepare a comprehensive fiance visa petition that clearly explained how they met, the time they had spent together and their future plans together. After the fiance visa petition was approved, the fiance visa application was prepared and supplemental evidence was collected to show their ongoing relationship. On the day of the fiance visa interview at the consulate oversees, everything went smoothly with a very short and stress-free interview. The couple is now looking forward to their dream wedding in the United States.

Although this fiance visa was approved, it is important to note that not all fiance visa applications are approved. It is very important to show that all the requirements for the visa are met, including that the relationship is bona fide. What evidence should be included in the package is a case by case decision and it is essential to present the strongest case possible from the initial fiance visa petition. With this in mind, I strongly encourage you to consult with an immigration lawyer before you submit your fiance visa petition.

About Kimberley Schaefer

Kimberley Schaefer is an immigration lawyer with offices in Boise, ID and Rexburg, Idaho. She helps future Americans become citizens by assisting them with immigrant visas, fiance visas, adjustment of status and green card applications, applying for immigration waivers, fighting deportation and applying for asylum. To contact her, you can call (208) 918-0852 or send Kimberley an email now.


  1. I’m still learning about the K1 visa process. How important is it to have an lawyer?

  2. gitsuonertia says


  3. Great news! Hope that they have an awesome wedding!

  4. Carlito Perez says

    How long did it take to get the petition approved? How long before the fiance visa was approved?

  5. amelynsro says

    Congrats on the K1 fiance visa approval!

  6. mankerslanyer says

    What was the timeline for getting the visa?

  7. My friend isn’t planning on hiring a lawyer for her fiance visa. Is this a mistake?

  8. Im from puerto rico and.i have my girlfriend shes from honduras and i waz wondering since im a citizen if i get marri to her if she can get a visa..

    • Kimberley Schaefer says


      As a United States citizen, there may be several options open to you so that your girlfriend can join you in the United States. One option is a fiance visa, which would allow her to travel to the United States so that you can get married here. After you get married, she would then be able to apply for a green card.

      If you prefer to get married in Honduras, you would be able to file for an immigrant visa for her after you get married. She would become a permanent resident and get her green card when she entered the United States using her immigrant visa.

      Both the fiance visa and the immigrant visa have pros and cons. Your immigration lawyer should be able to advise you so that you can choose the option that is best for you. Your immigration lawyer will also need additional information about your girlfriend’s background and immigration history to be able to advise you whether she will meet all of the requirements for either a fiance visa or an immigrant visa.


Comment Policy: Do you have a comment about this article? Your comments will be visible to everyone and are appropriate for general questions about immigration issues. Have a specific question about your case that you'd like to ask privately as part of a consultation? Please use the contact form instead.

Leave a Comment About This Article