What is an Infopass appointment?

Infopass appointments are appointments that allow you to inquire about your immigration case or request information at your local USCIS office. Anyone can schedule an Infopass appointment and they are free to make. You do not need to be a lawyer to schedule an Infopass appointment. But, if you have an immigration lawyer you should check with your lawyer before you make an appointment.

How do I make an Infopass appointment?

The easiest way to make an appointment is through the USCIS Infopass website. The first screen on the website allows you to select the language that you prefer to use. You can then select to either make or cancel an appointment. By following the prompts, you will be able to enter your information and select an appointment time that is convenient for you. When you are asked to select the purpose of your visit, select the category that you think is the best match.

Most USCIS offices also have computer terminals set up so that you can make an Infopass appointment. However, it is normally much more convenient to use your own computer to schedule the appointment.

What should I do if the online system says there are no appointments available?

It is not uncommon for there to be a wait of a couple of weeks before you can get an appointment. If the Infopass system indicates that no appointments are available, you should keep checking back. Although it can be frustrating to have to try several times before you can get an appointment, this system is much better than having to wait without an appointment for many hours in the hope that you will be able to talk with an immigration officer.

What if I need more information or legal advice?

You should always keep in mind that the people you speak with during your Infopass appointment are government employees. Although they can answer questions about your case, they are not there to give you legal advice.

About Kimberley Schaefer

Kimberley Schaefer is an immigration lawyer with offices in Boise, ID and Rexburg, Idaho. She helps future Americans become citizens by assisting them with immigrant visas, fiance visas, adjustment of status and green card applications, applying for immigration waivers, fighting deportation and applying for asylum. To contact her, you can call (208) 918-0852 or send Kimberley an email now.


  1. Iam currently working on L1 B Visa valid till 2014. But I apllied for COS to H1 B Visa in Oct 2011 which got approved on 25th Jan 2012. Now I don’t want to work for new employer i.e I want to stick to my L1 b Visa only. How is this possible to do this. Kindly suugest me the way to maintain my L1 B visa.

    • Usha,

      Because of the individual factors that could play a role in how you should proceed, you should discuss your case with an immigration lawyer. At this point it will be very important to make sure that you remain in a lawful status and that you don’t violate any of the conditions of your visa so that you don’t face any negative immigration consequences in the future. With this in mind, you should discuss your situation with an immigration lawyer as quickly as possible.


Comment Policy: Do you have a comment about this article? Your comments will be visible to everyone and are appropriate for general questions about immigration issues. Have a specific question about your case that you'd like to ask privately as part of a consultation? Please use the contact form instead.

Leave a Comment About This Article