TPS for Honduras Extended to January 5, 2012

TPS for Honduras ExtendedOn May 5, 2010, the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) program for Honduras was extended to January 5, 2012. Prior to this extension, the TPS program for nationals of Honduras was scheduled to end on July 5, 2010. This extension was granted because the Secretary of Homeland Security determined that the conditions that prompted the original TPS designation in 1999 still exist and these conditions prevent Honduras from being able to adequately handle the return of its nationals.

USCIS has published a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the extension. Highlights of the FAQ include:

  • You are eligible to re-register and maintain your status for an additional 18 months if you previously were granted TPS status and remain eligible for the program.
  • Approximately 66,000 nationals of Honduras may be eligible for this extension.
  • Temporary Protected Status does not apply to Honduran nationals who entered the United States after December 30, 1998.
  • You must re-register during the re-registration period from May 5, 2010 to July 6, 2010. You should re-register as soon as possible to allow time for USCIS to complete its routine background checks and the processing of your application. If you do not re-register in a timely manner, your status may be withdrawn and you may be subject to removal from the United States.
  • If you timely re-register and apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), you will be issued a new EAD. USCIS will automatically extend the EADs for Honduran TPS beneficiaries for six months, through January 5, 2011. This EAD extension is to provide sufficient time for beneficiaries to re-register and receive new EADs.
  • You can tell if your EAD has been automatically extended if it has “A-12” or “C-19” on the face of the card under “Category” and has an expiration date of July 5, 2010.
  • To re-register, you must submit a Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status. You only need to pay the application fee if you are filing an application for late initial registration. You should also submit a Form I-765 if you want an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
  • You may be eligible to file your application electronically if you do not need to submit any supporting documents or evidence.

There is no guarantee that TPS for Honduran nationals will be extended beyond January 5, 2012. If you qualify for TPS and have questions about your immigration status, you should discuss your situation with a qualified immigration lawyer. What options you have to adjust to another immigration status, if any, will depend on your specific situation.

About Kimberley Schaefer

Kimberley Schaefer is an immigration lawyer with offices in Boise, ID and Rexburg, Idaho. She helps future Americans become citizens by assisting them with immigrant visas, fiance visas, adjustment of status and green card applications, applying for immigration waivers, fighting deportation and applying for asylum. To contact her, you can call (208) 918-0852 or send Kimberley an email now.

Comment Policy: Do you have a comment about this article? Your comments will be visible to everyone and are appropriate for general questions about immigration issues. Have a specific question about your case that you'd like to ask privately as part of a consultation? Please use the contact form instead.

Leave a Comment About This Article