What is adjustment of status?

What is adjustment of status?Adjustment of status is a way to apply for a green card and status as a permanent resident if you are in the United States. Many people qualify for adjustment of status based on a family relationship to a United States citizen or permanent resident. Others qualify based on their jobs, having been granted asylum, the diversity visa program (often referred to as the green card lottery), or other categories.

You should always make sure that you meet all of the requirements for adjustment of status before you submit your application. If you apply and don’t qualify, there is a risk that you could be placed in deportation proceedings.

What Happens After You Get Your Green Card?

If you have been married for less than two years and your green card is based on your marriage, you will receive a conditional green card and will need to apply to remove the conditions on your green card in two years. If your green card is based on your marriage to an United States citizen, in three years you will be able to submit a naturalization application to become a United States citizen. If your green card is based on a different type of family relationship, in five years you will be able to submit a naturalization application to become a United States citizen.

It is very important to review the qualifications for citizenship before submitting a naturalization application. If you submit a naturalization application when you don’t qualify for citizenship, you risk losing your application fee and possibly being deported.

About Kimberley Schaefer

Kimberley Schaefer is an immigration lawyer with offices in Boise, ID and Rexburg, Idaho. She helps future Americans become citizens by assisting them with immigrant visas, fiance visas, adjustment of status and green card applications, applying for immigration waivers, fighting deportation and applying for asylum. To contact her, you can call (208) 918-0852 or send Kimberley an email now.


  1. Can a C1/D make adjustment of status for join in MAVNI program??

    • Kimberley Schaefer says

      Adjustment of status is a process for becoming a permanent resident and getting a green card while in the United States. You do not need to become a permanent resident in order to enlist in the Army through the MAVNI program. If you wish to enlist in the Army and you are a permanent resident, you will not need to enlist through the MAVNI program.

      If you are interested in the MAVNI program, you should review the basic requirements at:


      Keep in mind that you need to be in a lawful status for the past 2 years to qualify for MAVNI. If you think that you meet the basic requirements, you should then speak with your local Army recruiter about your options.

Comment Policy: Do you have a comment about this article? Your comments will be visible to everyone and are appropriate for general questions about immigration issues. Have a specific question about your case that you'd like to ask privately as part of a consultation? Please use the contact form instead.


  1. […] don’t qualify for the MAVNI program, you may also want to consider whether you qualify for an alternative to MAVNI such as adjustment of status.Citizenship Means Faster Family Based Immigration OptionsOutside of […]

Leave a Comment About This Article